Saturday, January 22, 2011

Not Missing What Matters

In my last blog (last year, no less!), I professed my love for Matthew West's song, "My Own Little World." If you haven't checked it out yet, watch the video on YouTube. I promised that I would write again about "not missing what matters," as West sings in the hit.

So, for this new year, I've been thinking about ways to really live my life for what matters. Too often I get caught up in the petty, materialistic stuff that really doesn't matter. I don't believe that's why we're on this Earth. We are here, in my humble opinion, to serve others and to serve our God. But what does that look like?

One of my biggest struggles with transplanting to an area of the state that I'm not very familiar with, is not knowing other people in the community. In high school and college, I was so involved in the community, and I haven't really stepped out of my comfort zone to do that in Bucyrus yet. So, I've come up with some ways that I want to work this year to give back to others and really start living for the important stuff. Will you add to my list?
  • I want to create a card list. The cards can be for birthdays, anniversaries, special occasions, or no reason whatsoever. I love the feeling that comes with opening a card from a friend and knowing that someone else is thinking of me, so I want to do this for others. If you want added to my list, just shoot me an email.
  • I also want to put together a Relay for Life team. Cancer has impacted all of us. This is a small way to honor my friends and family members who have battled the disease and provide resources to help find a cure.
  • I love traveling, but I've never been on a mission trip. In college, I went to Ecuador for a service project, but it wasn't tied to God. I really want to go somewhere and do good in His name. Greg and I are antsy to go to Jamaica with CSI, so hopefully this year we can make that a reality. Plus, there's a new project in Jamaica focused on developing a agricultural education center, so it's right down our alley.
  • Finally, this year I want to do small things to let others know I'm thinking about them. Whether it's baking cookies for my neighbors, serving a meal in the soup kitchen, or making more of an effort to stay in touch with my college friends, those are the things in the long run that will make a difference.
I'm a bit of a pack-rat. Around my desk, I post cards and quotations that mean something to mean. One is a Max Lucado card from my church when I was in college. I saved it for the phrase on the outside: "It's what we do for Christ in the here and now that will make a difference in the then and there." How true. The things we do now will have ever-lasting effects. So, it's time to start living for others and not missing what matters in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment